Silver City is a vibrant community in Grant County, nestled alongside more than 3 million acres of the Gila Wilderness. With historic ties to mining, ranching and agriculture, our community has grown into a modern town with friendly people, growing businesses and a terrific year-round climate.
Folks have been living and working in this part of the Southwest for more than 1,200 years. Now our unique combination of climate, lifestyle, environment and opportunity are drawing new visitors and residents from around the world!
We're proud of our reputation as an outstanding community and as a great place to work, live or retire. Here are a few of the good things being said about us:
- "Ten Coolest Towns"
Budget Travel Magazine, September 2007
A little bit hip and a little bit homey, these up-and-coming towns guarantee a fun detour on your next road trip. You'll be browsing the local real estate pages before you know it. Read this article!
- "Blending comfort and conservation"
Houston Chronicle, August 14, 2007
SILVER CITY, N.M. I am sitting in a big, comfy Adirondack chair on the veranda of a 1928 hacienda-style lodge looking out at a grassy savannah dotted with young pinyon pines, junipers and oaks. Deep green mountains dominate the near distance. A far-off dog barks, the wind sighs, a titmouse calls. At dusk, freeloading mule deer will turn up, as if on cue, to help themselves to a snack from the many bird feeders around the lodge. A few hours later, a bright, full moon will rise. Read this article!
- "The Real New Mexico Experience." New York Times, January 13, 2006
"People who live in Silver City like to say that their town of 10,000 offers 'the real New Mexico experience.' Perched on the edge of the Gila National Forest in a high-desert wonderland of ponderosas, deep gorges and red-rock mesas, Silver City is a bit rough around the edges... but that's the way the locals like it." Read this article!
- "From mining bust to tourist boom, Silver City celebrates 20 years of New Mexico MainStreett"
" ... As New Mexicos longest-running MainStreet community, todays Silver City is a colorful, bustling burgh that Outside magazine declared one of its 20 Dream Towns. Read more!
- "Top Public Hunting Areas" Outdoor Life Magazine; September 2005. "Top Public Hunting Areas: The Gila and Cibola national forests of Catron and Grant counties (as well as the adjacent Apache-Sitgreaves national forest in Arizona) are legendary for large mule deer."
- "A Mountain Hideaway in the Land of Enchantment" SW Aviator Magazine; January 2005. "... Silver City is an undiscovered, civilized hideaway situated on the outskirts of the vast Gila Wilderness... Plan a lot of time for your visit ... (otherwise) you will regret you didn't stay longer." Read More
- "One of the 20 Dream Towns" Outside Magazine; August 2004.
- "A Treasure of a Town" Arizona Star Newspaper; January 2004.
- "Best of the West Mining Town" True West Magazine; 2003.
- "Making Your Move to One of America's Best Small Towns " Norman Crampton; 2003.
- "Best American Cities You've Never Heard Of " Cowboys and Indians Magazine; May 1999.
- "Hundred Best Small Art Towns in America " John Villani.
- "USA's Dozen Distinctive Destinations - 2002 " National Trust for Historic Preservation; 2002.
- "50 Healthiest Places to Live and Retire in the United States " Norman D. Ford.
- "50 Best Places to Live" Modern Maturity Magazine; June 2000.
- "100 Best Small Towns in America" Norman Crampton
- "Outstanding Community of 2000 and Top Place in the USA to Retire" Searchers.
- "One of 11 Top Retirement Spots" Kiplinger Magazine.
You may also be interested in these stories and documents:
- 2012 Grant County Market Assessment
Creating an economic development strategic plan begins with a critical analysis of assets and challenges. With strong information as a foundation, a community can pinpoint its competitive strengths, recognize and correct weaknesses, and more narrowly define its target audiences for marketing. Read more...
Bayard is a charming community of about 2,500 residents with strong historic ties to Grant County's mining district. Read more...
- Grant County tourism information
Find the latest on special events, shows, and community festivals throughout Grant County by visiting the Silver City Arts and Cultural District. Read more...
- Silver City
Silver City is a vibrant community in Grant County, nestled alongside more than 3 million acres of the Gila Wilderness. With historic ties to mining, ranching and agriculture, our community has grown into a modern town with friendly people, growing businesses and a terrific year-round climate. Read more...
- Town of Silver City web site
Find more information on Silver City municipal activities, codes and more on the Town's web site. Read more...